Monday, August 6, 2007

The Saga


Ok, it was 36 hours of induced labor, the last of which was 14 hours of excruciating back labor without the much desired epidural.
Yes, the hospital and doctors make you think that if the pain is too much they will sweep in with an epidural and all will be well. This is not true however, and once you are in that much pain you are at the mercy of these people who can choose when you can have said epidural. In my case that was just two hours before pushing after 2 nights without sleep, the second of which was so painful I thought I would die. They were holding off for a little more dilation- something that didn't come until after they finally caved and gave me the epidural. All this and no doctor ever checked me! As soon as I had the relief of the epidural I dilated 10 in less than two hours. Also, since they didn't want to give me the epidural they decided to pump me full of narcotics instead so that I wasn't able to function for two days. It was awful, the care was substandard and I am so glad it is over. Now I have a healthy baby who I still worry about 24/7. My hospital story could go on forever but I don't want to dwell on it. I will save that for the lawsuit (just kidding).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Tava posting! I'm having withdrawls. Probably good to ease off you and Nora a bit before I go, but not my favourite at all!

I think my plan to be a feline foster mother sounds better and better every moment I contemplate what baby birthing is like for a human. You're a brave lady! Btheb - I'm coming in Wednesday and need to stop at Village Yarn, if you tell me I can, I will swing by with treats to eat and a massage in my hands just for you new mommy!