Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Order of the Phoenix Premiere

Ok, I finally feel ready to talk about the big movie premiere last night. I needed to let it sink in and talk it out a bit first.

Firstly, I liked the movie while I was watching it. However, it felt very rushed. I may not have noticed this as much because I was so uncomfortable (I am now feeling 16 months pregnant). See, the book is over 800 pages long and this is one of the shortest Potter films yet. The new director also left a lot of details in so he really rushed through things.

Something really interesting that my friend Jessica called to my attention is that the new director is a television director and so the movie was shot close up as in tv as opposed to far, wide angles like in a movie. That didn't bother me as much as things being changed from the book. I understand leaving things out but I don't understand making things up. The things that were made up barely made the movie flow any better and weren't necessary. These books are brilliant and NOTHING needs changing from the original story. It would be like taking a Tiffany diamond and chucking it for a cheap pearl.


One thing I did really enjoy was the actress who played Professor Umbridge (as seen in pink outfit above). If you haven't yet read the book then imagine one of the most annoying, anxiety producing people ever- that's Professor Umbridge. This actress made you want to punch someone which was in fact the whole point. I also loved, loved, loved the fight scenes and I am not one that usually does. The fight sequences in this book are intense and important and while the movie simplified them and shortened them almost painfully so, it still brought these amazing places and interactions to life. That is, after all, the purpose of the Harry Potter films, to bring these things to life. I would personally be happy to sit for 8 hours and watch ALL my favorite scenes come to life, but I understand that is not possible.

The outcome? I am still not completely sure. I liked it but was let down as one usually is when they see their favorite book splayed out on the cutting room floor. I will most likely see it one more time in the theatre to get a firmer grasp on my opinion- if I can physically sit that long again.

Please comment and let me know what you thought! Help me form my opinion!

2 comments:

Lauren Dorsee Dillon said...

I have a babysitter lined up in San Diego so that Robert and I can go. I'll let you know what I think then. I will say that all the movies with the exception of the third left out far too much and I have almost resigned myself to appreciating the books and movies in separate ways. If Lord of the Rings can make three plus hour movies though, I don't know why HP can't. Oh, well, I still can't wait to see it.

Anonymous said...

The thing about books being made into movies is that they are entirely different media. No one is ever happy. Things left out, things made up, things bizarrely altered. You just get used to it. Or at least I have. Took years however. And I still let loose some scathing critiques.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy is, in my opinion, a fluke of brilliance. Three films all filmed at once? Never done before, likely not to happen again. I think it's success is due to all the New Zealanders involved compared to a handful of Americans who fronted the cash. Harry Potter deserves the same treatment, but isn't getting it, and I'm not surprised. British and American film companies are inbred things.

It was fun seeing you out at the movie though. Got me even more excited for the book release. Just keep the lil' kipper in your belly for a wee longer!