Sunday, May 20, 2007

Gotta Love the USA



The Seattle Times reported today that many major car seats are saturated with toxic chemicals. Grrrreat.... What isn't? Better yet, the most toxic car seat on the list (pictured here) is the one I bought 4 weeks ago for my baby. Yum. Needless to say, I hopped in the car and returned the car seat and matching stroller. The best car seat (aka, least toxic) was available but so ugly. I can't help it. I want a safe, non-toxic, good looking car seat and stroller. Is that too much to ask? See the report here.

So, now I have NO car seat. So mad.What am I going to do? I am so angry that this country does nothing to protect us from the most toxic chemicals. They are in a host of baby products and unless you have OCD like me and over-educate yourself then you would have no idea. Then one can't find non-toxic alternatives in the US because they are not required yet. Certain states have legislation on the books but it is still in the beginning stages. So, lets feed our kids PVC's, PBDE's, hormones and other toxins and check back in 10 years. No thanks!


The poor people at Babies R Us were stacked with car seats this morning saying "This is going to be just like the glass bottles." They meant that certain people have decided to stop using the big brands like Avent because they still have not removed the known hormone disruptor Bisphenol-A from their plastic- so people like me use the glass bottles as the non-toxic alternative.


My last rant- why do we have to choose the least toxic car seat, stroller or bottle- where are the toxin free products? No one cares, and no one will protect your baby but you. Bottom line, sad, bottom line.


Now, find me a car seat!